Wednesday, March 3, 2010

keep it simple

Week 8, and I've been feeling nervous about our weekly computer lab session. While SL is supposed to provide context for writing and speaking assignments, the technical aspect has been getting in the way. While some students pick it up right away, others do not..and just because a student has no trouble getting into SL doesn't mean that he/she thinks it is a good use of time. Frankly, just learning how to use it is not the best use of time for a grammar class. But when you have just over a half hour with them each week, it does take a few weeks to get the students up and running.

Once they are...keep it simple. Today, my class worked on online grammar quizzes depending on their particular needs, and I answered individual questions. 30 minutes into our 50-minute class, my colleague and I took them on a field trip to Cypris Chat Island in SL. Originally only 5 of 22 students had signed up to go, but once the others saw these 5 teleporting, they assembled in the launch area at Evergreen and wanted to go too. In the end, over 75% of my class went to this island and met Deanna Gears (SL name), docent on Cypris Chat Island. I felt it was a successful lesson.

No comments:

Post a Comment