Thursday, July 9, 2009

Share lesson materials for ESL in SecondLife at http://thenakedavatar.wikispaces.com!

I've been writing a blog at my website, http://thenakedavatar.wikispaces.com, for the past few weeks as I've been chronicling the Second Life adventures of my level one grammar class at Tacoma Community College. I moved over to Google Blogger today along with my one student (yes, it's a small class this summer), JK, when she started her own English language blog today. JK is keeping a journal. So am I. We have slightly different purposes, of course; JK has the added responsibility of using grammar that we're learning in class, while I am documenting the work I'm doing for an Instructional Innovation Grant. However, the focus is the same: JK's adventures in Second Life.

I am working on a grant to develop materials for teaching developmental students using SecondLife. The mission of my grant proposal was to come up with materials that not only made SecondLife accessible to developmental English as a Second Language classes, where educators may not consider using technology for fear that students may lack sufficient cultural or language skills, but also to teachers--hey, it's really easy to use and it's a kick!

This afternoon I'm in the Information Commons using Final Cut to edit some video of JK turning herself into a blue wolf and riding a BMW motorcycle around the junkyard. Curious?...Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment